boote-forum.de - Das Forum rund um Boote  

Zurück   boote-forum.de - Das Forum rund um Boote > Motor > Motoren und Antriebstechnik

Motoren und Antriebstechnik Technikfragen speziell für Motoren und Antriebstechnik.

Antwort

Themen-Optionen
Alt 17.08.2014, 19:11
las las ist offline
Deckschrubber

1 Danke in 1 Beitrag
Standard New König owner from Denmark

Hi forum

A week ago I bought a König 40 HP motor that had no cooling

The motor had been sitting for a few years and the leg was a pain to get of. Once of, the axle was rustet solid to the mild steel connector and to the input shaft of the lower gear. It was hard to get of, but I succeded at last without breaking anything.
The impellerhouse was another troublemaker, the bolts were stainless steel but was stuck so hard I eventually had to drill them out. Now one of the two bolts are mounted trough the lower leg, I had to drill a 6mm hole all the way trough because the drill drifted a bit when drilling the original 5mm bolt out.
The other one I managed to make into 6mm in the lower leg.

The impellerhouse was also in a bad shape, the steel liner was deformed at some places because the aluminium had swollen underneath.
I tried to take the steel liner out but ended up destroying the house...

In searching the internet I found a Picture of a later type SS impellerhouse and decided it wasn't impossible to make one. And so I did!
I have a very old lathe and a mig welder with SS line in it, so I vent ahead.

The impeller in the motor wasn't completely destroyed, but it was only 50mm diameter and two of the vanes was cracked.
With the new impellerhouse and a battery drill it could pump out Water when submerged in water up to the pump. But not so when mounted on the engine.
I have allready ordered a new reproduction impeller from the german ebay, from neptun56. I can't wait for it to arrive and see if the cooling is now working.

The gasket from the impellerhouse to the upper leg and waterpipe was a very lose fit on the original impellerhouse, but does seem to sit ok on the new one.
However I would like to replace it with something a bit more fresh. The rubber tube pictured on the new house is a reinforced fuel line cut 2mm to high, (from my meassurements), and I hope it will be able to compress enough because its very hard and make a good seal.
Whats your thought on that?

One other problem I have with this motor is a fracture on the exhaust side of the upper leg, see the Picture of the left side, right under the actual motor.
The plan is to run it on my old 13 feet Selco Select and then in the wintertime take it apart and get the leg Tig welded. Oh, and when looking up trough the upper leg, the exhaust tube is pretty much rusted all out. Perhaps I could replace that with SS once apart in winter.

I absolutely love the design and simplicity of the Whole unit and would very much like to save it and use it in the future.

Allmost forgot, would this be a 1972 motor from the engine number?
Miniaturansicht angehängter Grafiken
Klicken Sie auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht

Name:	Konig2.jpg
Hits:	96
Größe:	62,7 KB
ID:	560833   Klicken Sie auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht

Name:	Konig1.jpg
Hits:	113
Größe:	69,1 KB
ID:	560839   Klicken Sie auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht

Name:	KonigImpellerHouse.jpg
Hits:	109
Größe:	72,8 KB
ID:	560840  

Name:	KonigImpellerHouse2.jpg
Hits:	87
Größe:	81,9 KB
ID:	560841   Klicken Sie auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht

Name:	KonigImpellerHouseGasket.jpg
Hits:	105
Größe:	83,0 KB
ID:	560842   Klicken Sie auf die Grafik für eine größere Ansicht

Name:	KonigNumber.jpg
Hits:	111
Größe:	56,0 KB
ID:	560843  

Name:	KonigLeg.jpg
Hits:	96
Größe:	144,4 KB
ID:	560857  
Mit Zitat antworten top
Folgender Benutzer bedankt sich für diesen Beitrag:
Alt 17.08.2014, 19:20
Benutzerbild von Don P
Don P Don P ist offline
Fleet Admiral

2.651 Danke in 2.040 Beiträgen
Standard

I dont understand your Problem ..
cooling System is working now ...or not ?

Stan No. 3/Abteilung FW
Mit Zitat antworten top
Alt 17.08.2014, 19:50
las las ist offline
Deckschrubber

1 Danke in 1 Beitrag
Standard

I havent tested it yet, when I receive the new impeller....

But I would like to know the year of the motor and what others have used for gasket/sealing from impellerhouse to upper leg.

And perhaps someone have other tips or ideas for my build!
Mit Zitat antworten top
Alt 17.08.2014, 19:51
Benutzerbild von Don P
Don P Don P ist offline
Fleet Admiral

2.651 Danke in 2.040 Beiträgen
Standard

König is an old engine .. ist not so easy ...

Stan No. 3/Abteilung FW
Mit Zitat antworten top
Alt 18.08.2014, 09:47
Benutzerbild von simon-2
simon-2 simon-2 ist offline
Fleet Captain

Boot: Spitfire
601 Danke in 342 Beiträgen
Standard

Hi las,

welcome to the forum and congratulations to your motor itself and your great job on the impeller housing
I think you are on the right track- although i could sell you the original rubber gasket i confirm that an "oversized" piece of hose (as you did) does the job well. Might be even better, because a new piece of hose is better material than an aged rubber part

unfortunately, i don't know the exact year of manufacture, neither, but according to the engine cover, i guess it was built in late 70s. Most engines had a far more "rounded" cover, whereas the latest engines in the 80s had a terrible "box style" cover, mounted on a rectangular bottom. Your cover type is quite rare, so i guess it was built in-between the two types...
Does your engine have CDI already (on from '79)?

The crack in the leg looks bad :-/ but i guess you can still do some test runs with it...
I like to hear that you intend to fix it "the right way"- most dilettantish owners would have sealed it with "liquid metal", sikaflex or alike
I guess, there's no need to tell you that you have to pre-heat in order to avoid even more cracks..?

Good luck with your engine and best regards...
Alt 18.08.2014, 21:16
las las ist offline
Deckschrubber

1 Danke in 1 Beitrag
Standard

No CDI ignition just the plain old contact breakers. So perhaps it could be 1972? Or where they usually the rounded type?

When I bought the engine there were no Pictures of the cover, and because of the waterdrop shape deck I thought it was the older style cover, and I was a Little dissapointet. But now I quite like the looks of it.

I hope at some point I can find another König motor, perhaps with the old cover so I can change style If I'm in the mood. And have some spares.

The crack was actually repaired with fibreglass.... A really bad solution.
Thanks for the tip about heating it before welding, I didn't know!
I only thought you had to preheat it if it was a thick piece, and it is rather thin at that point.
Mit Zitat antworten top
Antwort